DHI HAIR TRANSPLANT
DHI is the “modified FUE,” where FUE and DHI methods in its fundamentals is the same thing with the harvesting (extraction) of the grafts as a common, and differs by the way you distribute/implant it on the recipient area.
Compared to the FUE, in the DHI implantation technic, incisions (opening channels) and graft implantation are a combined process, i.e., performed at the same time. We implant the extracted hair follicles directly into the recipient areas without channel incisions using an implanter (Choi) pen. Choi Pen – a plunger device with a hollow needle connected to a tub. That is why the other name for the DHI procedure is the Choi method.
1. With the Choi technique, the extracted graft transmitted to the implanter, the graft gently placed within the hollow needle positioned at the end of the implanter.
2. The needle is later inserted at an angle of 40-45 degrees into the scalp by the surgeon/surgery technician, as the incision site made and the graft implanted by pressing down on the plunger.
3. Usually, an amount of 3-6 Choi implanters and approximately 15-16 needles needed, and the device comes in different sizes to fit the follicular unit grafts.
DHI vs. FUE TECHNIQUE;
ADVANTAGES OF THE DHI METHOD
- The grafts remain outside the body far less time, ensuring healthy and appropriate placement of the grafts.
Higher hair follicles survival rates.
- There is less bleeding during the creation of the recipient area of the scalp by the DHI method. Reduced trauma during graft handling leads to less damage in the blood supply of the implanted region.
- Prompt recovery after the operative phase, the patient can be back to his/her routine life shortly after. In this method, we do not have to shave the whole recipient area, so it becomes a talented pro in this method.
DISADVANTAGES OF DHI METHOD
- On the other hand, the difficulties in comparison to the FUE method include;DHI is a more costly procedure compared to the other hair restoration methods.
- It is suitable for female patients who don’t have too much hair loss and don’t want to shave the whole head.Appropriate for the patients with minor hair loss between the hair.
CANDIDATES FOR DHI
Dr. Choi from The Kyungpook National University in Korea was the inventor of this technique. Some experts operating within the field performed in-depth research on this technique. According to the results, they identified that not all people were ideal candidates for utilizing the Choi implanter pen during hair transplant surgery.
They discovered that the first versions of the Choi Implanter pen had better results on Asian patients with hair loss compared to other ethnicities. The reason for this phenomenon was: Asian people’s hair, in general, has thick straight hair. In contrast, different races have the curly characteristics and thinner diameter and make it difficult to be appropriately loaded into the implanter and place in the scalp, as the main sizes of the needles that used in the first versions ranged between 0.8-0.9 mm.
And this may lead to inappropriate bend in the follicle, incorrect graft placement, and excessive trauma for the follicles. Some hair restoration specialist, however, state, that with increased exposure and experience with the Choi implanter pen, effective graft placement with any hair characteristics could be possible.
DHI TECHNIQUE AT ACTUAL HAIR CLINIC
At Actual Hair Clinic, the DHI method is the second most used and preferred method by the patients who want to have a hair transplant. DHI method is one of our areas of expertise, and we have reached satisfying results with this method.
At Actual Hair Clinic, we do promise rational and realistic outcomes to our patients. We do not give false hopes and falsify the number of grafts and the results of our patients. Our main advantage is that we do extensive planning of the area we are going to work on – head, back of the head, face, and forehead assessed thoroughly. We examine hair follicles, and procedure accurately planned, the approximate number of grafts calculated with their area of distribution. The patient is informed about all possible consequences understandably, so he or she has a clear idea about all the aspects and outcomes of the surgery.
We also give patients briefs before surgery, after the surgery, and on control or wash day. The total number of submissions is 3. In these briefs, we inform the patients about the transplant basics, some terminology, after the transplant care, the time-lapse after the transplant. We do it thoroughly, so the patients feel comfortable and safe. Our patients continue to get online support from a professional and trustworthy team, and they don’t feel deceived and disappointed even after the transplant performed.
At Actual Hair Clinics, the surgeries performed and directly supervised by our physician who has long-standing experience in this field and modern device and approaches used for the treatment. All patients informed in detail about the entire DHI process based on realistic plans.